Monday, July 30, 2012

Topic 4 - Innovation


DGTL 12002   Assignment Task 4              

30 July 2012

Tracing Innovation in Social Media

Week 4 question 
Social media music video project. Discuss wether or not you think this is innovative in terms of Social Media, produsage and crowdsourcing.

Does the music video from the website 'One frame of Frame' show innovation through social media, crowdsourcing and produsage?

I agree the music video 'frame by frame' (viewed 30 July 2012) is innovative and a great concept however I do not believe it is classed as a 'new to the world innovation'.


figure 1: Frame by frame video (viewed 30 July 2012)

I found the video to be interesting yet annoying. The flickering of the images started hurting my eyes and I didn't really know what was going on. I could only watch half of it and could not take it anymore. I was concerned there were no warnings on the site about the possibilities of the video causing epileptic fits.

On the positive side, the website is well set up for social media. It seems like a great place to participate in a working piece of art. The concept of getting people to do all the work for a little piece of recognition and fame and for the love of art is brilliant. It seems the concept has been done before so it does not sit in the 'new to world' category. The website is useful and a creative way for the public to be a part of an ongoing crowdsourcing project. The video seemed to be a good example of crowdsourcing. This was evident through the use of getting many people actively involved in the creation of the video. People will visit the site and show their friends resulting in the cycle being created again. At the time of viewing this video, there had been 36735 people who had participated. That is an amazing effort for crowdsourcing.

Examples of produsage are evident through the dedicated individuals and management teams  who have distributed content of the video through the community of participants. The video is an ongoing project and is aways under development. This is a key figure of produsage.

Another example of Crowdsourcing

When googling for more information on crowdsourcing I found another really good project. It is called the 'Johnny Cash Project- Crowdsourced video at its best' (viewed 30 July 2012). What I liked about this example was that the crowd (public) was given the chance to recreate scenes for Johnny Cash's last song. The scenes had been drawn by hundreds of artists and then pieced together to create cartoon like images that would make up the entire video clip. The art was amazing and the images produced were of quality. The dedication of fans contributing to Johnny's life as a musician is unbelievable.
  

figure 2: Johnny Cash Project(viewed 30 July 2012)
figure 3: Johnny Cash Project(viewed 30 July 2012) 

Both images above are a few seconds apart from the Johnny Cash Project. There are approximately 8 frames a second. I recommend viewing it.


References
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Frame by frame video (viewed 30 July 2012) http://oneframeoffame.com/  

Johnny Cash Project (viewed 30 July 2012) http://www.reelseo.com/johnny-cash-project/

No comments:

Post a Comment